Sunday, November 7, 2010

Time

I'd like to give a little attention to my old friend Time.  We've undoubtedly all been very acquainted with it.
Toolbox talks about how time for us is a social construct as well, and it is determined by our individual actions and circumstances.  The concept of time is difficult to grasp unless we go with what has already been determined like seconds and minutes.  Our perception of time is skewed and warped by the events in our everyday lives.  I think time in it's most "natural" sense though, in it's "organic" form is perhaps a bit more consistent.
While I believe in the cultural construction of time, I cannot abandon my organic perspective of it.  Humans have a naturally instinctive sense of time I believe, but there are factors that change it.  In my mathematics class in high school, we looked at a function that determined how as a person progresses with age, their sense of time shortens.  People of a certain age can more accurately perceive the sense of time in accordance to the set minutes and seconds.    I see the problem that "minutes" and "seconds" are a socially created, so in this sense time can't be completely organic.  Then, consider this: in my biology class in high school, I learned that we have this thing called a "circadian rhythm" that our bodies naturally adjust to.  It's almost like a cyclic 24 hour clock.  Plants and animals can sense the time of day and adjust physically to it.  Plants, like a sunflower can follow the passage of the sun throughout the day, "naturally."  When I say "naturally," it's more like a chemical reaction, but most things in life are chemical reactions of some sort.  We can't change when the sun or the moon moves.  We're too insignificant and powerless to change time as a whole, but in our own little niche, in our own little world, we have somehow managed to do so.  If we only look at "our world" though, I think that's too myopic.  Myopia is close sightedness.  It is zooming the camera in where we only focus on one thing, and it doesn't offer the whole picture.  

I think we as humans make time unnatural. It's not good or bad, just different from what it was.  It would be funny and ironic to think of time as something that changes when it changes things.    

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mi Sa, thanks for the good post. I agree that time is both socially constructed and organic. It's interesting to consider how the concept of time is used a frame of reference to make sense of our experiences, and we are always left to consider how to spend our time--and try not to waste our time. I certainly agree that overall we turn time into something unnatural. dw

    ReplyDelete